Saturday, October 03, 2009

Thricex3

So for the benefit of The Celebrated Author, i have composed an extensive list of All the Thrice Songs that Everyone On Earth Should Listen To. i thought i would post it.

Music Box. A gorgeous song, still gives me goosebumps after having listened to it hundreds of times over 2 years.

Like Moths to Flame. a retelling of the Last Supper.

Image of the Invisible. military anthem of the virtuous counterculture.

Beggars. ESSENTIAL. about Martin Luther's last words. that says enough.

The Messenger. a retelling of Isiah 6, my personal favorite chapter of the Bible.

Artist in the Ambulance. brought me to tears the first time i heard it. but a good part of that was timing.

Doublespeak. based off of Orwell's 1984 (it seems every punk/alt band has at least one song titled after a 1984 device). made me want to spit out the words "jackboot toe-tap" every few sentences.

Lockdown. from Thrice's early years, a more speed-metal version of Doublespeak.

Come All you Weary. more or less explains itself.

Child of Dust. a retelling of the parable of the prodigal son. also written in Shakespearean Sonnet form.

Trust (acoustic version is best). also featured on the album "Punk Goes Acoustic" with other great songs like "Baby I'm an Anarchist" and "Swing Life Away"

Stare At the Sun. about the search for truth in a world of postmodernism.

Flags of Dawn. warning: will make you miss people terribly. not a good song to listen to after an HT conference.

some others that are not as essential, though still amazing:

The Weight. a serious song about marriage.

The Lion and the Wolf. the only media influence to ever give me nightmares.

The Abolition of Man/Don't Tell and We Won't Ask. based on a C.S. Lewis book.

Elanor Rigby. The Beatles song, with metal.

Pheonix Ignition. great chorus and symbolism.

Cold Cash and Colder Hearts. all about Amerika.

The Arsonist. about, well, fire. in a brilliant way.

The Melting Point of Wax/Daedalus. from 2 different albums, two opposing views of the Icarus myth.

Carol of the Bells. kick ass Christmas carol. ker-win.

this is a massive list, but every song here has influenced my life, the way i think, talk, sing, act and believe. and they are all brilliant. these are suggestions, so take them just as such.

20 comments:

Robin said...

Highly agree with pretty much all songs on this list, except for the ones from Beggars, which I haven't heard yet.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I saw Thrice live once.

Maggie said...

To what you said about Doublespeak: I know, that's just an amazing line! That's exactly how I am when I hear it.

Happy, happy emoticon.

Bob son of Bob said...

NFJ: yes yes, but that will be remedied the next time i see you. i saw to that today.

SK: OMG I ENVY YOU SO FREAKING MUCH. i am going to mug you and steal your experience ;)

TCA: hehe, pleased emoticon back.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Bob, you can take it. It wasn't one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I'm not a Thrice fan.
They were on tour with My Chemical Romance, and we went to their last show of the tour in Niagra.
That whole night lasted forever.

Ethan said...

MCR KILLED "DESOLATION ROW" AND FOR THAT MAY THEY BURN FOREVER.

Ahem.

Lovely Thrice post, Bob. Language and poetry tend to get lost in modern critiques, as people pay attention to experience, music, and cheap thrills; Thrice has sensation aplenty, but their real magic (I think) is in the words.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I KNOW!!! Can you believe it?! I never liked that song to begin with, but I'd take the original over that piece of crap remake they call good.
Load of crap that is.

Ethan said...

I LOVE that song! The literary references he makes make literary references, and... it's amazing. I'm glad you agree about the butchery of it, at least.

Robin said...

THANK YOU BOB.

And, again, very nice post. Thanks to you I went back and re-listened to Vheissu.
And, well, I am in love.

Maggie said...

NFJ (latest comment): Llol! That's exactly how I expressed my feelings!

Bob son of Bob said...

yes, my dear TCA seems to have, erm, romantic feelings for Thrice on the whole. i am to be their best man.

Robin said...

Ohhh! Can I be flower-girl?

Maggie said...

A punk flower-girl!

In any case, yes.

Bob son of Bob said...

Ethan can be another.

Robin said...

Yay! Ethan and I can wear matching dresses, too. Such fun!

Bob son of Bob said...

*cackles at the image of ethan in a terrible pink dress...*

Ethan said...

My pink dress would be AWESOME, biatch.

Maggie said...

What style are you thinking, Ethan?

Anan said...

Can I be an inner-punk flower girl? How about Nat?

Maggie said...

YESSS, Anan, inner-punk!

Nat… can be the drunk guy or something.