Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Okay, Twilight fans.

Stop trying to justify yourselves.

I mean, with the first book, an argument could be made, maybe. If it weren't for the fact that she spends the first 400ish pages talking about NOTHING and the plot takes 7/8ths of the book to make an appearance it would be a decent book. If only...
My true complaint comes in another form, however.
Edward Cullen is stealing all our women.
This is bothersome, for, as Martin Luther said "Man cannot do without woman." And not just that, our women are letting him!
Try telling a Twilight fan that Edward sets an unreasonable standard. Just try it! They don't seem to believe it, no matter how long you waterboard them. In fact, they seem to think that it should be easy as pie (wait, maybe cake...) for any guy at all to be Edward Cullen and compete with his sparkling preppiness. I'll let you all in on a little secret *secretive whisper* we can't do that like Jayne said: "There ain't people like that. There's only people like me."*
There are a hundred and one other defenses I've heard too. "We don't like Edward, we like the image of Edward."
Wanna unpack that one for me honey?
"Every girl looks at Edward and sees the boy she likes, so really it ends up helping you guys..."
Okay, i call BS. They are not thinking of any mortal, human person. Mortal, human people don't sparkle. Also, most don't have crooked smiles, and when they do, they are fixed by braces. Very few of us are "Seraphim-like" either (that term was used three times through the first book. Yes. I counted.) We are, in fact, human. Sucks, don't it?
A friend of mine once threw glitter on himself as a joke to his girlfriend who had said something along the lines of "Why can't you be more like Edward?"
For the moment let us entirely ignore how asinine that statement is.
Well, she did not take this very well. He dared to mock The Edward. In fact, they broke up a couple months later. I laughed.**
So anyway, Twilight fans, can we keep the stupidity to a minimum? Yeah, that would be nice. Thanks. Not that you'll do it. God, I hate Edward Cullen.

Little sparkling asshole.




*point of fact, Jayne also said "I'll show you right well I got man parts." So perhaps he is not the best source to quote.

**One problem with his plan was that glitter does not come off easily. In fact, it takes a lot of scrubbing, and it still won't come off for a week. So he had to go to school sparkling.

20 comments:

Maggie said...

I hate him too. At first he was just funny, but as time goes on I just hate him.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

My my Bob. That was fantastic.
I read this twice I loved it so much.
Well said old man.

I think I'm the only female I know who doesn't go crazy for those books/movies/Edward.
Trite drivel is what they are.

Robin said...

I hate him as well and I am very relieved that there are no men in the world like Edward. That would be VERY creepy.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Wouldn't it? Sparkley men all over the place. You'd start to think they were all gay.

Anan said...

Oh but TCA, don't you have his head shot on your wall??? Anyway. I don't like him either, and yes, he does set an unrealistic "standard", and I totally felt sorry for Jacob until he turned out to be a changeling wolf whatever.

Maggie said...

Oh God, I forgot about that. Yeah, I have http://www.panicposters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f63dc5ec28f3175f8a7f615bd217eb71/P/P/PP523-Twilight-511x768_1.jpg . It's huge.

Maggie said...

http://www.rebelliouspixels.com/2009/buffy-vs-edward-twilight-remixed# !!

Bob son of Bob said...

TCA: Oh...uch. How could you possibly manage to have that on your wall. that's one of the more gut-wrenching photos i've seen of Old Footface.

SK: Thank you, I'm so glad you agree and find my rant entertaining :D

Bob son of Bob said...

omg TCA, the video is amazing :D

Maggie said...

It's… not technically on my wall. It's on the inside of my closet door. (I'm sorry Anan, but I really didn't have the wall space for it. Once I get my room cleaned I'll be rearranging things and maybe then he'll get a more visible spot, though I'll burst into laughter every time I see it.)

Yes, yes it is. As am I. (And not Nat, though he showed it to me.)

Bob son of Bob said...

No way, totally applies to you only, and not him.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

His face does sort of resemble a foot! I never really noticed that before.

Maggie said...

Duh. (Swedish for 'Duh.')

Bob son of Bob said...

I always thought that if Robert Pattinson and Sarah Jessica PArker made out it would be like two feet squioshing up against each other. come to think of it, that's a rather disturbing image...

Maggie said...

Ew. Thanks a lot.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Ick.

Bob son of Bob said...

you're welcome, the both of you.

Anan said...

TCA, I didn't really think it was on your wall at all, so I'm happy it's at least in the closet.

Maggie said...

Happy happy happy! (etc.)

Robin said...

Yeah, thanks for that mental image, Bob..

Oh gosh. Pattinson and Parker.. I think I'm gonna puke.