Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Books.

it's been quite a season here. cold, wet, and most of all, snowy. so extremely snowy, in fact, that the plows get stuck sometimes. and with nothing better to do (school doesn't count) i have been reading a lot. a whole lot. I have a stack of books on my DVD player that i fully intend to read soon-ish, and lately Bob has been making inroads into these books.
I shall sum these up and review.

1. The Shakespeare Code by Virginia Fellows

I do not know why i wasted 352 pages of good reading time on this. let me sum it up: Francis Bacon was superman. not only did he write many, many essays and whatnot, besides being way too busy in the state, but he also wrote all of Shakespeare. that guy must have had way too much time on his hands. he also wrote all of Spencer and The Bible. He got a visit from God when he was young and was the son of Queen Elizabeth The Virgin Queen. how did that work? Elizabeth, by the way, was a psychopathic nutcase who murdered her handmaidens left and right for small things. there's so much more drivvel to explain, such as the fact that Francis Bacon was also FDR, but i won't confuse you with the details. Ms. Fellows, i think, is just a bit too in awe of Bacon and thinks that because he was soooo wise he must have done every great thing ever done. what a guy.

2. Feed by M.T. Anderson
this is a great book. it is short, easy to read and amazingly smart. M.T. Anderson also wrote Whales on Stilts, the best children's book ever. he's probably Francis Bacon. The story centers on Titus, a young man living in "a world of tomorrow" in which we are all constantly plugged into the internet. not too far from the truth. it is a wonderful, bitter and cynical story of young love and airheadedness. big thumbs up.

3.Stardust by Neil Gaiman
once again Neil Gaiman pulls a great fantasy classic out of thin air. this is another very easy read, 14 point type and 1.5 spacing are needed to make it a 300 page book, and it's so engrossing that one finds oneself barricading the door and blowing back friends and relatives with a fire hose in order to gain more reading time. I don't think i will even go so far as to summarize it at all. that takes half the fun out of it. it is also a movie, which i have not seen.

4. The Hound of Heaven
Short poem, read it. one cannot sum up a poem. it's just not done.

5. The Red Badge of Courage by Steven Crane
a classic, only with blood. The writing in this book is amazing and Crane's insite into the human mind is extraordinary. if you have not read this book, well, add it to the list.

6. The Poe Shadow by Matthiew Pearl
i am torn between recommending this book and telling you to stay far, far away from it. It traces the "life" of Quentin Clark, a young lawyer in Baltimore who becomes obsessed with Edgar Allen Poe and his death, deciding to clear the poet's name of the mark of "drunkard" for the record.the book is not just a novel, however, it is also a thesis on the death of Poe and what Pearl thinks really happened, and I have to say he presents a very strong case. my complaint, however is that the middle 1/3 of the book, while necessary, is immensely boring. it does get better as it begins to draw to a close but was nearly unbearable for a while. i give it a light recommendation.

7. Deprivers by Steven-Eliot Altman
this is a fantastic book, one of the most creative pieces I've come across in a while, topped only on this list by Stardust. It is the tale of a future dystopian (aren't those great?) world in which humans begin to evolve a natural defense called SDS, Sensory Deprivation Syndrome, which, upon skin-to-skin contact, deprives someone of a sense (feeling, taste, sight, hearing, consciousness, sense of direction etc.), permanently or for a short time. it is an amazing adventure book, like a much faster paced 1984 with more guns and secret societies. for 16+ readers.

8. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
meh.

9. Lord Raven's Gambit by J.T. Howes
This is my final book as i am still reading it. so far it is rally good, if sometimes a little bit cliché. It's a high fantasy novel about...well, everything a high fantasy is supposed to be about. people killing each other off, magic, damsels, dragons, witches, poison, castles, all that good stuff. it sometimes resembles a fairytale, but in a more grown up way than C.S. Lewis or even Stardust. it's unlike anything I've read and i urge you, if you can find it, to read it, or at very least buy it, as the author could use some support.

so that's my list. if you don't like it I dare you to make a better one.

38 comments:

Robin said...

Great. You gave me some good suggestions. NOW READ FAERIE WARS!!!! Or do I have to tie you to a chair and gag you to get you to do it? (I WILL do that, if I have to, y'know!)
I need someone besides Mater to discuss the finer points with, so hurry up about it, too! (:

Nat said...

Cheddar
Cheshire
Swiss
Muenster
Gouda
Feta
Colby
Parmesan
Provolone
Mozzarella
Port du Salut

Anonymous said...

yessum.
the problem is getting out of the bloody house to a book store. it shall be remedied

and Nat, what have we told you about cheese spamming!?!?!?!

Nat said...

Oi! I can't help it if I'm the only one up to meeting your last sentence.

Anonymous said...

literalist.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I have a list of books I fully intend to read eventually.
And Charles Dickens is on the list too.
But those types of books have that "It's going to be around forever" feel to it. So you know you have lots of time to read them.

Anonymous said...

hehe, exactly. those are the greatest lists...

also, i hereby rescind my comments about Lord Raven's Gambit. it is a horrible book. having just finished it i can say: it is a really, really bad book. the first 90% of it is amazing, however the ending is so bad and so obnoxious that i cannot in good faith, recommend it.

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbK3-EfJd-w

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

What is Lord Raven's Gambit?
And how does it end?

Read Between The Bridge And The River by Craig Ferguson.
If you want opinions on God, televangelists, crazy people, and sex addicts then seriously go read this book.
I loved it so much I read it twice, and then bought it.

Also, read my review on William Shatner!!

Anonymous said...

it's the last book i reviewed, a fantasy, good for the most part but at the end the main character, who has been thus far a guy and whom we have come to know well and feel somewhat in sync with reveals that HE IS ACTUALLY A GIRL and it feels like in a sentence you've just undergone a sex change. seriously, i curled up and whimpered in the fetal position for about an hour. that's how violated i felt. i dunno, maybe it's different for a girls, but for me it was disgusting.

I'll add it to The List.

oh no, that's gonna be scary.

Robin said...

Hmm.. sounds like Ozma of Oz... or whichever one it was that introduces the princess...

Something Wicked This Way Comes's first twelve chapters are excellent, by the way.

Anonymous said...

heh.

of course they are! that's one of the best books ever,and though i tend to say that about a lot of stuff that makes the top 10 list.

well in happier news i fractured my wrist today. just small, probably won't need a cast, my punch is still good, just a little painful.

Ethan said...

I loved the first few chapters of Between the Bridge and the River. I stopped reading it, just because I was reading... other stuff...

Robin said...

Yes. Thirteenth chapter's pretty good, too, in case you were wondering. ^^

And I'm so very, very happy for you, Bob.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Ethan, you were reading Between The Bridge And The River??
It's amazing. I'm going to get Bob to read it to.

Bob son of Bob said...

Ethan: thank you for that. i was just thinking...oh, look, a chicken.

NFJ: right, i shall keep that in mind.

Aiden: yes m'am, i shall add it to the list.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Oh good! I'm so glad you are going to add it to the list! When you read it, let me know.

Ethan said...

Yeah, like I and Bob said, I kind of ADD'd away. Great first few chapters, though. Craig Ferguson is amazing.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I couldn't put it down. I'd have to once I started to see double and needed sleep. But once I was awake I was reading all over again.

Craig Ferguson is amazing.
When you BOTH finish it let me know what you think.

Bob son of Bob said...

sure, though it'll be a while. i finished Faerie Wars and now i'm simultaneously reading BRave New World and The Illiad. I leaned something about The Illiad: i don't like it.

also, guess where i'm writing from?
MY ROOM!!!
i just got internet up here after much yelling at the computer and banging of keyboards. just like Angry German Kid.
but anyway i have internet (for now, we'll see if it lasts)! yayness!

Robin said...

Finally. You read Faerie Wars. The world is right once again.

Niiiice, Bob. I wish that'd happen to me. I certainly have enough epic debates with appliances to have a dvd player, dish washer, toaster, and several lawn mowers in my room. But it doesn't work for some reason...

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Isn't it nice to have internet in the saftey and warmth of ones own bedroom?
I love being in my room.

Dude, you JUST finished Faerie Wars? I read that sooooo long ago.
Isn't there a sequel? Maybe I should read it again.

Robin said...

Aiden: there are four books in the Faerie Wars Chronicles. The second one is Purple Emperor, the third is Ruler of the Realm, fourth is Faerie Lord, which I just finished.

Ethan said...

Aiden, your internet comments are correct. Even better, though, is having the internet in the safety and warmth of your own bedroom at college where there are no parents around to possibly interfere. :P

Also, I'll get back to that book at some point (no promises as to when) if for no other reason that Ferguson-loyalty. When I do, I'll inevitably put something on my blog about it.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Really? I didn't know there were 4. Maybe I should get on reading them again.
Are the others good?

Aaah college. How far away you are from my reach. But my parents don't get in my way or tell me to get off the computer. So I don't need to worry about anything.

Robin said...

Yes. The second one is quite good, and the third one is bloody and confusing, which makes it awesome, too, and the fourth one.. is good, and ties up a lot of loose ends. So yes, do continue reading them.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Maybe I will. I have to go to the library tomorrow anyway. I ordered a book called Bongwater by Michael Hornburg.

Anonymous said...

look what happens when I'm away for a short time? all sorts of rabble find their way in.

yes, i started Bongwater a while ago, got one chapter and returned it.

Bob son of Bob said...

btw the above was I.

Robin said...

Hey, who you callin' rabble, buddy-boy?

Ethan said...

Rabble: a cross between a rabbit and a babble.

None of us look very rabbit-y, and I've noticed a distinct lack of carrots.

The babble part, though...

Anonymous said...

exactly. and, mostly ethan.

Robin said...

Finished Something Wicked This Way Comes. Twas terribly good. Bradbury's an unfairly good writer.
And I don't think I shall be going on any merry-go-rounds nor into any glass mazes at the fair this summer.

Anonymous said...

i still have Ethan's copy of that book.... and i still haven't read it, but i think i will over break and then return it you. you being Ethan.

HI ETHAN!!!!

Anonymous said...

i should read that again. ya, it really does turn you off carnivals, doesn't it?
i just started A Cantical for Leibowitz" which is pretty fun, and finished Tithe, which was...diffrent.

Robin said...

I tried reading Tithe, and it was.. okay, but I had other things to read at the time.
I started Sabriel, and I'm having trouble putting it down(the glue on the fingers didn't help).
A book that reminded me a bit of Tithe(or the beginning of Tithe, at least) was The Hunter's Moon(O.R. Melling), except the latter was cooler(but I have yet to finish Tithe, so who am I to judge?)

MNTY said...

out of these, i've only read stardust. it was awesome. have you seen the movie yet? that was phenomenal too.

Anonymous said...

You nicely summed up the issue. I would add that this doesn’t exactly concenplate often. xD Anyway, good post…