Wednesday, August 29, 2007

High on God Part II/1984 Parenting Tips

okay, so i believe i have a loose end to tie up. unless i am mistaken i must sum up the second half of my evangelical overnight. i hate to say it, but there wasn't much to say two. to tell the truth i slept through half of it because half of it was (fake) sermons. after sermon number 539 we went for breakfast, which was burritos. but why that particular food? i have no idea. they were good burritos, but...not at 8 am. please. there was another, longer, stupider sermon and the day was more or less finished up. we sat around for a while, waiting for rides and arm wrestling. this is an old tradition among these people. you see myself and a few of the other guys (and a couple of the girls) are constantly competing to see who is the most masculine, and a wonderful way to do this is by arm wrestling, racing and just plain wrestling. that was fun.

now, on to the other subject Bob promised you, and as you all know, bob on occasion decides to honor his promises once in a while. I've decided that my parenting tactics are going to be based off of 1984. first, i will have a Two Minutes Hate against hippies and poodles. you may already know of my plans to have them call me Captain Sir (just to keep them in line) but i think that putting up posters of my face with the caption "Daddy is watching you" will help significantly. They shall, of course, be enrolled in the Junior Anti-Sex League and recite fluent Newspeak. I will as well have a tape of myself constantly repeating "War is peace, doing what i say is bliss, eating your vegetables is strength." perhaps that will keep them in line. perhaps. My children shall live under the Iron Fist of The Parent!

and speaking of 1984, here is Big Sister.

okay, something fun. somewhat good band vs slightly annoying band.

Goo Goo Dolls: love top wallow in sympathy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMZUYeDrl-c)
Billy Tallent: has some good old fashioned pride (http://youtube.com/watch?v=I-9gu0lfQ50)

by the way, one of my kids is totaly going to be named Winston.

36 comments:

Robin said...

Winston?

hmmm.....

I still like Wally better.

Anonymous said...

yes, but Winston is the main character in 1984. but then again i don't want my child bringing about my downfall, so maybe wally.

Anonymous said...

READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't talk about stuff you don't know about!

Anonymous said...

i am reading the bok. so nya.

Robin said...

Meant to read it.. sometime in the future....
still haven't gotten around to it. Predictably.

W names are fun. Winston, Wally, Wanda, Wilber...

Anonymous said...

but you obviously haven't finished it. so back at ya.

Anonymous said...

oh, W names...wonderful, aren't they?

*makes face*

Robin said...

Yes, it just makes your heart swell to hear some little kid with a W getting screamed at by his momma, doesn't it?

-stifled background snorts-

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I've not been around.
I feel bad.
So hello.

Anonymous said...

hello. how've you been?

Anonymous said...

Oh well, I've been fine.
Just waiting to see Superbad now.
And you?

Anonymous said...

dude. i want one of these.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GChRY49jGRY

Anonymous said...

That was kinda cool.

Anonymous said...

i'm fine, ty. kind of bored at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to the mooooovies.

Anonymous said...

hoozah movies!

the celebrated author said...

If you make them listen to "War is peace, doing what i say is bliss, eating your vegetables is strength.", they might learn that "peace" is when countries fight, "bliss" is the utter horror of having to do what Captain says, and "strength" is a vegetable-y death. Just a thought.

the celebrated author said...

And one more thought while i'm at it - read "Brave New World". Creepy, but i was told (after i read it) to read 1984, not that i'm off page two of that. *cough*

What some of those kids listen to while they sleep: "Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm really awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta Children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly colour. I'm *so* glad I'm a Beta."

Now back to 1984, since it's doubtful you'll read this anyway.

Robin said...

Ah, well,
Technically, black isn't a colour, since black objects absorb black objects.

And even if black was a colour, it's an awfully nice colour, thinks I.

Oh, and you deserted me last night, Bob. How could you? Leaving me prey to The Lizard, like that!
Hope your mum's feeling better....

the celebrated author said...

Well i know black isn't a colour, (or a color) but it's not my fault. Aldous Huxley wrote that. And i do like black, depending on the occasion. Whew. He wrote it in 1932. No wonder.

Anonymous said...

I saw Superbad!
It was fantastically funny.

Robin said...

Well, excuse ME for being smart.

Anonymous said...

oh dear. Mag and Not Freddy going it at...i'm scared.

Brave New World is on my list of things to read. however my list runs from my room down the hall, into the kitchen, out the door, through the yard and into the neighbor's shower so it may be a while.

ooo, i want to see superbad!

Robin said...

That last comment o' mine was meant to be a joke, by the way. I know it sounded snippish, but it wasn't meant to be read or understood that way.

Your reading list is not half so long as mine, Bob. Mine just about reaches Chicago.

Anonymous said...

arr, that be a long list.

avast! i be slightly giddy about t'day!:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_like_a_pirate_day

Anonymous said...

hi everyone, sorry i haven't really been in touch. how have you all been? (aside to mag: since bob is terrified at the idea of us getting to know each other, well, this is to say hi, and hopefully start the conversation that will culminate in the destruction of the world.)

Anonymous said...

yeah, you two never get to meet. i think the world will end.

and a parting thougbht about yesterday... ARR!

Anonymous said...

bob you're really starting to piss me off. you can't tell me who to talk to or who not to talk to. so just stop it.

alright, so how's everything going?

Anonymous said...

but pissing you off is so much fun...

things going well on my part. anyone else?

Anonymous said...

grrrr! i hate my shakespeare course. it's so simple i coukld do it without reading the fricking play!in fact this last section i didn't even read the act it was SO simple. grrrr.

Anonymous said...

check your email. it's good this time.

Anonymous said...

wow, teachers suck... i'm sure ellen agrees *coughteccenardicough*

Anonymous said...

bob check out mcfly sucks. QUICK!!! there's someone cool on there, at least he sounds like a reasonable person from his comments. so yeah, you might want to go on and back him up. see ya, i gtg now.

Anonymous said...

you mean Robingdtbl or Snowbunny?

Anonymous said...

R not S. and now my dad has internet!!! yay!!!!!! extreme yay, as i can now talk to people and listen to music while i'm here.

Anonymous said...

w00t! btw quick new post now.