Saturday, July 28, 2007

FOR YOU Conference


this past weekend I attended my first (national) Higher Things conference and I must say I was not disappointed. I will attempt to make this as short as possible as I need another 15 hours of sleep.
we arrived (the conference was held at the Minneapolis University grounds) kind of late and got checked in, then caught the beginning announcements and pleanery (seminar attended by everyone) which was based on the new piece of fine toyery from Wal-Mart. when that was done the 1,200 kids there migrated to the chapel for evening prayer. That was my first Divine Service with more than 50 people. It was pretty amazing.
After that we had free time, in which myself and a few others hung around and lightsaber dueled. About 10 pm someone pulled the fire alarm in the dorm and we were all evacuated. That was entertaining. We eventually got back in and slowly began dispersing to our various rooms and dorms.
The next day Bob got up early and went to breakfast which was amazingly good for cafeteria food. The man who swiped my food card smiled and wished me a wonderful day. I met up with people soon; we talked, messed around, drank too much coffee etc. then came Matins where we sang and prayed and all that good stuff. After that was pleanery II where we were introduced to Rev. Cwirla's preaching/stand up routine. Then lunch, and after the man cheerily swiped my card I went about my eating.
i think my favorite class was the one on cults where we learned that Mormons think they are spirit babies, it would be an even fight in a cage match between the founder of the JWs and Jack Bauer and wiccans are amazingly annoying people.
After that we took over the memorial union, which then became ours by right of conquest. The memorial union is basically the U of M campus mall, featuring shopping, pizza and a massive game room. After having my butt thoroughly kicked at pool by Alex, the rest of the group and I headed up to the top floor to play apples to apples, at which I did, erm, interestingly. We finished up with evening prayer and I spent the rest of the night riding the elevators with large groups of other kids.
The following day was begun with breakfast at which I enjoyed watching a friend fill a hiking canteen to the brim with coffee, and then drink it all. At Matins we went to eh 3rd level rather than our usual 2nd. It was fun, watching everyone below us scuttle around like ants. They are lucky I decided not to step on them…
For a while we went to more studies, ate, drank and were merry and then came 4:00. at 4 the busses to Midway Stadium left and after hopping on one with someone I had just been introduced to I was off to the ball park! Bob found her to be quite pleasant. I believe the whole city is a big pothole, which includes what’s left of Dinkytown. We had a good time at the game, sitting out in the cold rain, shouting “pants!” when they played the charge music (don’t ask…) and playing games we picked up at summer camps.
We had evening prayer there which was awesome; we stood in the bleachers and did the liturgy in the ballpark.
Friday was both the best and the worst. It was, of course, the final day which was sad but at the same time we had all had so little sleep that anything was funny. Anything. This included people taking down eating pavilions, dropped spoons and old cars.
We finished the first service and went for announcements and plenary, then finished off with our last breakaway and lunch.
There was a massive divine service with 1,200 people coming up for communion which was awesome. Afterward we stayed a while to say goodbyes and take pictures, which we did a lot.
The whole thing was a lot of fun and Bob is still kind of sleeping it off. It is, however, a little strange to be around people 24/7 and suddenly hardly at all. So, now that I’ve wasted your time with that, make sure to beware the Ides of March.

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

No offense, but I usually skim these posts before I actually read them.
So who is that in that picture you have posted?

Anonymous said...

that would be (in no particular order) me, maggie, some pastor who's name i forgot, some girl who's name i forgot, paul, andrew, jon, some guy who's name i think is chris, kennedy and pastor kind in the backround. that was our basic group through the whole thing (minus two people).

Anonymous said...

Where are you in the picture?

Anonymous said...

i am in the back to the right of the gotee

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I love that dude walking by in the back. He has no idea someone was taking a pitcture!

I found you!

Anonymous said...

my turn to count! oh, and i was informed that the pastor was Rev. Cwirla who is even more awesome than Kind.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what you just said

Anonymous said...

i mean the pastor, is pastor Cwirla, i think.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the clueless guy walking in the background?

Anonymous said...

no, the guy stnading with us. i don't know who the clueless guy is...but he's funny!

Anonymous said...

I get it now!

I am going to assume that Bob, who added me on myspace is you?

Anonymous said...

oh yes, that's me. found you!

reader's digest came today.i shall post a link to the artical and my comments later today if possible.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

i shall post it ASAP.

Anonymous said...

sad news. the digest seems to be missing tonight so i shall post it tomorrow. heehee, figures my first publication would be an angry rant although they edited a good bit of the angry out.

Anonymous said...

Hurry and find it!

Anonymous said...

i shall.

Anonymous said...

Did you find it?
And have you figured out how to comment back on Myspace yet?

Anonymous said...

found it! okay, here it is, my international publication debut (heehee).

please read first:
http://www.rd.com/content/spiked-/

my comments (although the actualy letter was better written, longer and a good site more angry):

i am 15 and have been downing energy drinks for a while and have yet to experience any (serious) side effects. i know many teens who drink them daily and are none the worse off for it. if a kid needs some caffine to help keep his or her grades up then that is what must be done, i know it has helped my grades. these drinks are a (mostly) harmless substitute for drugs, drinking and other more serious forms of thrill seeking.

please bear in mind that this was written at 2 am on, interestingly, a caffine buzz.

still working on myspace.

Anonymous said...

I'll read it later and get back to this.
Again.

Myspace ruined my life.

Robin said...

Cwirla. What a name. Cwirly Cwirly Cwirla. Hee hee!

Hmm... I shudder at the thought of drinking just one of those drinks occasionally. Even for the sake of staying up late and finishing home work(Har har. Home-schooler Freddy laughs loudly at the thought), it would be torture.

Anonymous said...

all depends on your tollerence, you, freddy, i will assumes has low caffine tollerence. i have rather high, i can drink a 1 liter of mt dew and fall right asleep.

Anonymous said...

i youtube messaged you. and i hate life. it is good, but i still hate it.

Anonymous said...

I love love love caffiene.
^_^
It makes me look like this in the morining though:
9_9

That's not good for my complexion.

Anonymous said...

i hate life too. not much fuin is it? actualy it's been looking up forme lately which is nice. i shall reply.

i have tons of caffine in the morning and i'm still -_-

Anonymous said...

now i lay me down to sleep...... on the couch. dangit.

Anonymous said...

i finished lotr a few hours ago! yippee!!! tell Ethan....... pretty please with smokebombs on top.

Anonymous said...

if you insist with smokebokmbs...

Robin said...

Yes, you are quite right, Bob. Even on a normal night with no caffine it takes hours to get into that state that could come very close to being called sleep.
But you're like Jeremy. He drinks a pot of black tea right before he goes to bed and is asleep within minutes.

Anonymous said...

30

Anonymous said...

i have nothing else to do so 31

Anonymous said...

32!!!!!!

Robin said...

tres, tres.

Ow.

Bob son of Bob said...

33!!!

Anonymous said...

35?

Anonymous said...

36? leaving tomorrow. sadish. he got a new computer for college (the bugger) which i am currently on.

so i'll be gone for a couple days while i help him move in.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ethan is leaving?
How sad.
Make him get a myspace so you can keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

hey there everyone. sorry i haven't been around lately. how are you all doing?

Anonymous said...

aiden, you should get a facebook, that'd be fun

Anonymous said...

indeed! actualy it isn't that sad. the constant verbal abuse and taking of anything edible from my room will stop, which will be nice

i'm going to send him an email a little while from now, the exact opposite of what a letter like that should be:

"Dear Smelly:

things have been nice and quiet around here and we all wish that we missed you very much..." etc.

oh! awesome story. so yesterday i finaly got something i've been waiting for in the mail. a Burmese long sword, high carbon tempered steel, full tang etc. virtualy indestructable. yes, i am a freak for both knowing all that and buying it. so anyway i get it and take it to the driveway to cut a few boxes. ethan insists i let him have a try so i do, he swings the sword and CLANG! it's bent in half. appearently he went right through the box and into the pavement. good news though, in exchange for wrecking my beautiful sword i got his computer! so hopefully i should have wireless soon!

well, bye for a couple days!

Anonymous said...

Facebook?
Blah.
I prefer myspace.

Anonymous said...

oh boy i found wifi!

meh. but you cannot throw sheep at people on myspace. only problem with it.

Anonymous said...

I love myspace. It has Link Larkin.
;)

Anonymous said...

ah i'm back and now hapily brotherless.

wait, it has what?

Anonymous said...

there's too much to say, so i guess 'hi' will have to suffice for now. is it okay if i call you tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

well ye did anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

Myspace has Link Larkin.
Of Hairspray.

Anonymous said...

ah, got it.

Anonymous said...

that i did.

Anonymous said...

okay, new post coming (hopefully tonight).