Monday, February 22, 2010

Script Frenzy 2010

I've decided to participate this year. Have I ever written a script (stage, screen, graphic, adaptation etc)? No, no I have not. I don't even know how to properly write a script, other than what I could pick up from Wikipedia. I shall, in all likelihood, fail miserably, but it's worth a shot.
I came up with the idea for the play months ago, and was really rather bothered that I couldn't abandon my NaNoWriMo project to work on it more fully; but alas, my characters would not allow it.
Now rock operas have been done and done and done to death, and they seldom get much better with each new "innovation." However I propose something entirely different, and yet very much the same: an acoustic punk musical. This is not some pansy-ass, Green Day/Blink-182 poser playboy punk kind of deal, no, this is real guts-and-glory, anarchist revolutionary, hardcore punk--using two acoustic guitars as the only instruments. I have not yet written the songs, and may use others in their place for the first draft. This will work just fine, since I know right where I will use something with the same themes of Rise Against's Drones or Thrice's Trust or Against Me's Baby I'm an Anarchist.
So. This should be interesting. We'll see how it plays out, or if, perhaps, I abandon midway through. In the meantime, I'm very excited.

13 comments:

Robin said...

Yay! I'm planning on doing this too, though I have two seperate plots and I'm not sure which I should do yet. They're both very different so there's no hope of combining them.. -sigh-

Anyway, I expect to hear about the outcome of this venture, sir Bob!

Maggie said...

Excellente! I'm attempting a stage play. (Last year's screen play didn't make it past page 2; I'm going to fault my internal camera.)

I expect any and all result of this.

Bob son of Bob said...

Yes m'ams!

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I'm excited too!
It sounds interesting.
And dear god, I can't stand rock opera's. Even the term frustrates me.
Although, if you want a good epic, Pulp's "This Is Hardcore" is aces.
And they made a video for it which is actually good.

Tell me how it ends.

Bob son of Bob said...

Oh, that does sound interesting...as soon as I am on a computer with sound and such I shall investigate...

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

No sound? How is that possible?
Go to the library man! Get some headphones!
Dear God I don't care how you do it just watch that video!

Bob son of Bob said...

Lol ok ok!
No sound because The Father is not the smartest cookie with computers and somehow managed to delete the sound function. Yes, the whole function. Fail.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

There is some kind of driver you need for that.
Take it in and get it looked at.
And while that's happening, go to your local library and get your butt at a computer!
You are missing out on so much.

How is your script coming?

Bob son of Bob said...

OK, so This is Hardcore, basically the bomb. Honestly they couldn't have done that better. I love the Buzby Burkley reference in particular :D
The script can't be written yet, it isn't April! But the pre-script is going quite well. I have the basic plot hammered out and most of the songs picked. Now the details and hopefully some songwriting of my own are yet to be done.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

Isn't Pulp amazing?
They dazzle me.
'I Spy' is a good song too, don't know if it has a video. So is 'Help The Aged'. That video is so incredible.
Basically everything they do is superb.

You have to wait until April to actually write it? I would be taking notes like crazy. Then rewriting the notes, organizing them, and pretty much being anal about it all.

Bob son of Bob said...

I shall look those up ASAP, and I'm starting to see your point. (Note to self: go buy a Pulp album)

Yeah, that temptation's always there. But on the other hand I don't like planning. It messes me up :D

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I have one Pulp album on it's way here. Ummm..."His 'N' Hers"
But if you want real Pulp genius, you buy Seperations.
Or Intro. Or hell even Different Class.
You know what, just slowly buy your way through their entire collection. And don't cheat yourself when purchasing, whenever you can get a delux edition, DO IT. It is well worth the extra money.

I love planning. But I plan little things, you know? Big huge events in my life have never been planned, they just happen. I think about them as they are happening.

Bob son of Bob said...

Haha, I shall try.

I actually understand completely. Kind of a "I'll map out every second of my day from beginning to end but, college is like whatever" sort of thing.