Wednesday, December 02, 2009

The Saints Are Coming.

For those of you who do not know, I am entirely obsessed with the movie Boondock Saints, in all it's brilliant Irish kickassness. So when I heard that after ten years Troy Duffy was coming out with a sequel to the curse-filled, gratuitously violent '99 vigilante cult film I had two simultaneous reactions:
1. "Oh God, they'll kill it."
2. "YEAH!! THAT'S RIGHT! WOOOOO!!!!"
So I was pretty anxious to see what they did to it. On Sunday The Goatish Brother and I went to the 9:50 a.m. showing, because we're just that nerdy. I almost cried coming out. It was beautiful. A different movie to be sure, but not in a bad way. It was shot differently (except for some reference shots) the cursing was different, the gunfights were different. But the characters were the same, and that's the amazing, and brilliant part of the movies. Rocco was back (briefly in one of the GREATEST SCENES EVER FILMED BY MAN) being his none-too-bright self, the brothers were exactly the same, having aged slightly, Il Duce, D-D-D-D-Doc, Greenley, Duffy, all of them, along with some fresh faces. The humor was fantastic, the exact same style of the humor in the original, and I think this one may actually be funnier. That night I went to the 9:50 p.m. showing, and it was just as good. I plan on going this weekend as well.
So, in closing: SEE IT.

3 comments:

Robin said...

It WAS amazing.
One thing that bugged me though; they had a few scenes that they seemed to have put in just because they were badass, and because it would please the unwashed masses (The part where they showed the shooting in the bar a second time, and the southern lady's gun trick on the table). They were cool, but they didn't further the story or add much of anything to it. That annoyed me.
Other than that, it was amazing and I completely agree with you Bob.

Šørën Kïêrkêgåårð said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Bob son of Bob said...

yeah the replay shooting was kind of a
"wtf?" moment, but the gun tricks were so freaking cool that I excuse them.